Inspiring Ideas for Teachers, iTunes U Courses

untitled

There are 30 books . You can find it by going to your iTunes U application. At the bottom are three taps, the first of which is titles “My Courses”. Click on my courses and it will take you to your library which should store everything you’ve bought or subscribed to in iTunes U. If you have yet to subscribe or purchase, you will need to go to iTunes U and click the icon titles “For Educators”, it should then take you to a page that has, at the top, a selection titled, “Inspiring Lesson Ideas”. Click that and all 30 courses should appear.

Out of all the selections, they had several in my content area like, The Civil Rights Act of 1964, Being the Change: Exploring Leadership and the Work of Nobel Peace Prize Laureates, and It’s All Geography to Me.

image

I have chosen my lesson to be over Rise of the Frankenstuffies: The Industrial Revolution. In this course, you study the impacts of the industrial revolution. Along the way, you will read a “Steampunk” novel which is a type of science fiction novel that can be about almost anything as long as it incorporates steam power into it somehow. You will also create an iMovie starring a Frankenstuffie. Frankenstuffie’s will be created by the students by sewing 3 different stuffed animals into one. That Frankenstuffie will then be in an iMovie created by the students that will detail the effects of the industrial revolution, how it started, what did it involve, etc. The kids will also receive a multitude of guided notes on various European countries involved in the industrial revolution and participate in activities where they are asked to design new technologies. One in particular is when they are asked to design a mechanical device to help a dog that lost both back legs get into a van. Then the students are to figure out alternative uses for that device. There is a lot of higher-order thinking skills and creativity involved.

I would use some of the ideas and worksheets within this course. I like the idea of reading a “Steampunk” novel because it will be different than a lot of other material the kids will be exposed to and it will require them to make observations and connect one world with another.